Hear Four Songs From Garth Hudson Presents Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band
On October 2, Curve Records will release Garth Hudson Presents Chest Fever: A Canadian Tribute To The Band, featuring Band organist Garth Hudson performing alongside Canadian artists like Neil Young,The Sadies, Cowboy Junkies, Blue Rodeo, and Bruce Cockburn.
The album was produced by Hudson with engineer and co-producer Peter J. Moore (Cowboy Junkies, Lucinda Williams). The playlist represents Hudson’s favorite Band tracks to play. According to the press release, Chest Fever marks “the first time a Band project has been sanctioned and produced by a member of The Band.”
The song selection ranges from post-Robbie Robertson era Band tunes like “Move To Japan” to familiar favorites like “The Shape I’m In,” to Bob Dylan’s “Clothes Line Saga” from The Basement Tapes, which The Band performed on.
“It was very organic how the artists and songs matched up so perfectly,” says the 75-year-old Hudson. “I had aural visions of how each song could be enhanced by the talent of each artist… each voice, instrument, and spirit.
“These songs were among the most enjoyable to me while the Band was together because of the words, or the story, or humor… an example of all three is the reading of ‘Clothes Line Saga,’ written by Bob Dylan and sung by Margo Timmins with Cowboy Junkies,” says Hudson. “Each of these songs stands on its own, yet they mystically sequence together as a string of jewels.”
Listen to Neil Young and The Sadies cover “This Wheel’s On Fire,” and check out the full track listing below.
Love The Band as much as we do? Look for our September/October issue, featuring The Life and Legacy Of Levon Helm, The Best Songs Of The Band, and more, coming to news stands soon.
*Garth Hudson produced and plays keyboards on all tracks along with the following artists:
1. Danny Brooks & The Rockin’ Revelators – Forbidden Fruit
2. Mary Margaret O’Hara – Out of the Blue
3. Peter Katz & The Curious – Acadian Driftwood
4. Neil Young & Sadies – This Wheel’s on Fire
5. Suzie McNeil – Ain’t Got No Home
6. Cowboy Junkies – Clothes Line Saga
7. Kevin Hearn & Thin Buckly – You Ain’t Going Nowhere
8. Bruce Cockburn & Blue Rodeo – Sleeping
9. The Road Hammers – Yazoo Street Scandal
10. Raine Maida – The Moon Struck One
11. The Sadies – The Shape I’m In
12. Chantal Kreviazuk – Tears of Rage
13. I Loved You Too Much – Hawksley Workman
14. Great Big Sea – Knockin’ Lost John
15. Blue Rodeo – King Harvest
16. The Trews – Move to Japan
17. Garth Hudson – Genetic Method (Anew)
18. Ian Thornley & Bruce Cockburn – Chest Fever