Rules and Deadlines
Upcoming Contest Deadlines [Updated December 5, 2012]
March/April 2013 Contest – Deadline January 15, 2012 11:59 P.M. (CST) (Jan/Feb Issue)
1. An entry fee of $15 (payable to American Songwriter) is required with each entry, and you may submit as many entries as you like for each bi-monthly contest. A form may be photocopied or printed from the web and mailed in (if you choose not to enter online via AmericanSongspace.com) with one check for the total of all entries sent. Payment must be in U.S. funds.
2. All entries must be received by the deadline date, NOT the postmarked date. All entries later than that date will be entered in the following contest.
3. The writer(s) of the winning lyrics for each contest will receive a Gibson J-200 Standard Acoustic Guitar. Only one guitar per contest will be awarded. The winner also receives a and a Shure SM58 Microphone.
4. The contest is open to any amateur songwriter. American Songwriter defines an amateur as a songwriter who has not earned more than $5000 from songwriting related royalties, advances, or works for hire.
5. Lyrics will be judged by a qualified group of professionals in the music industry. The decision of the judges is final. Winners will be notified via email or phone. By entering the contest, the entrant assigns rights to print entered lyrics in American Songwriter.
6. The winning lyric, along with the three runners-up, will be published in the coinciding issue of American Songwriter Magazine.
7. Songs entered into an earlier American Songwriter Lyric Contest, other than previous winners, runner-ups and honorable mentions, may be re-entered in future contests.
8. To qualify, the song must be an original, unpublished (however, self-published songs are OK) composition of the person or persons entering the lyrics. Entrants retain the publishing right(s) to their song(s). Your song(s) may be copyrighted, however this is not required and not altogether necessary. American Songwriter assumes no responsibility for un-copyrighted lyrics. All non-winning lyrics are properly shredded after each contest is judged.
9. American Songwriter reserves the right to disqualify any entry that does not meet the rules herein outlined, and is not obliged to return any entry fee.
10. American Songwriter employees, their families and advertisers are not eligible.
11. For current non-subscribers, an entry will be accompanied by a single issue of American Songwriter magazine. Current issue will be mailed at the completion of the contest for Domestic entries only.
12. This contest is designed primarily to promote the craft of songwriting and to give readers of American Songwriter the opportunity to become actively involved in the songwriting community.
13. Apple is not a sponsor or involved in the Contest or activity in any manner. iTunes is not a sponsor or involved in the Contest or activity in any manner.